Friday, May 29, 2009

Day 43 - Valley 'Anas Acuta'

I had every intention to blog about the Valley Avocet which I paddled for the better part of three hours this morning during a private lesson with a paddler named Mike from the Portland area. Things changed this afternoon, however, when some after work shenanigans went awry revealing what I like to paddle when I'm not paddling a boat from the big list and providing some interesting material for this post. Besides that I sort of have to post about the Anas Acuta now because I may not be able to paddle it again before the end of this 100 boats challenge, because...um...I'm not sure I'll have the hole patched in time.



It's Otto's fault. ;-)

Always blame it on the 15 year old kid. After all it was Otto's idea to paddle tonight and it was him that BEGGED me to go along. Not to mention it was the bow of his boat that skewered mine like a shiskabob in the waves at Dog Beach. How could I possibly be to blame.




Actually it was all on me for not following the very same surf zone rules that I taught Otto last fall. It was my words that probably sounded something like "Never get stacked up in the surf zone, you never know when a wave is going to catch an outside boat and bring it in on somebody inside." Sometimes even the teacher has to be taught the lesson again to be reminded of why.

We were catching some really nice rides in 1-2 sometimes 3 foot surf. I was outside and watched Otto grab a nice long ride in to the beach then turn around and start paddling back out. I hadn't been paying attention and in the mean time had drifted a little too far inside and ended up getting broached by one of the occasional larger waves that were rolling in. My first reaction was a bit slow and I got stuck in the wave and was headed directly toward Otto. In most broach situations on small waves I can pull myself around pretty well on the wave and maneuver to miss any obstacles down wave from me, but this time I was using a Greenland paddle which I'm still not too experienced with. Without the familiar traction of the large euro blade I normally take in the surf zone, I found my self digging in trying to move but with limited results. A slow motion moment passed and we finally collided with the instantaneous (and too familiar) crruunch sound of breaking fiberglass. Otto got knocked over and pulled off an awesome roll that dislodged his bow from my hull. After I saw that Otto was ok I paddled to shore hoping for the best.

My heart did stop a little when I saw the fist size hole in my hull but I couldn't get mad at anyone or anything but myself for screwing up. Amazingly, even with the giant hole in the bottom of my hull, I was able to paddle the remaining mile up the San Diego river back to our shop without taking on much more than a gallon of water in my front hatch. After a more thorough inspection I realized that the impact happened in the most accessible part of the front of the boat directly below the front hatch opening. This easy access will make doing the repair infinitely easier than just about anywhere else in the front of the boat. Now I just have to find the time to do the work.

The Anas Acuta is one of my favorite boats to paddle right now. Like I said in the beginning it's one of the kayaks that I take out when I've already paddled one off the '100' list for the day. This boat fits me like a glove and surfs better for me than almost any other sea kayak I've taken in the waves. It's quick, comfortable, and responsive. I just plain love to paddle it. If you can squeeze your butt into it's famously narrow seat (which I hear is wider in newer versions) I recommend giving this boat a try. It's certainly not set up to haul a lot of gear for extended trips but as a day tripper it's great fun.

Anas Acuta Review

Manufacturer = Valley Sea Kayaks
Brand = Valley
Model = Anas Acuta
Material = Fiberglass
Length = 17'-2"
Width = 20"
Weight = 49 lbs.

Location = Dog Beach long boat surf session and up San Diego river
Time = 6:15 PM
Distance = about 4 miles
Duration = 1:00
Avg. Speed = NA
Conditions = Overcast

2 comments:

  1. After this story you want me to go surfing with you this coming Friday? Maybe we could duck tape a bit of foam to the Mega bow (which is a bit pointed). I'm in for Friday but we will have to hit the waves a dawn (which is no problem for you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ONE boat on the dock that I've been itching to paddle and you (I am blaming it on the "KID") break it! My fault too for putting it off. It's said that "life is uncertain, eat dessert first". I look forward to the AA's resurrection. That is a suspiciously evil grin on Otto's however.

    ReplyDelete