Monday, May 11, 2009

Day 25 - Wilderness Systems 'Tsunami 175 Pro'

I sometimes compare kayaks to different models of vehicles to try to convey their use and who they might be appropriate for. For example the 'Manitou II' from Necky which is a recreational tandem could be compared to a mini van. Nothing too fancy but capable of taking along the whole family. The Necky 'Eliza' compares to the new VW Beetle. It gets you around in playful style, and while guys can drive them, most often you see women behind the wheel. So when it comes to the 'Tsunami 175 Pro' all I can say is that it is the "MACK TRUCK" of the kayak world. Capable of hauling a tons of stuff and driven by big guys that don't mess around at the dinner table.

If you saw my skinny butt climbing into the seat of a giant earth hauler you might think that I looked out of place, well that's exactly how I look (and feel) in the 175. It is a very large kayak that doesn't really fit me in any dimension. I actually reviewed this boat a couple years ago for Canoe And Kayak magazine and during a photo shoot ended up shearing the rudder off it when I got a little too close to the rocks in La Jolla. After that episode I fixed the rudder and tried again at the Ocean Beach Pier where I discovered that even though I roll around in the cockpit like a marble in a coffee can I could surf the boat fairly well. While it's not necessarily the boat for a guy my size it's certainly worth a look by anybody bigger than average that is looking for a freight hauler.

Tsunami 175 Pro Review

Manufacturer = Confluence
Brand = Wilderness Systems
Model = Tsunami 175 Pro
Material = Fiberglass
Type = Touring
Length = 17'-6"
Width = 24"
Weight = 64 lbs.
Capacity = 400 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay - Vacation Island loop
Time = 6:30 AM
Distance = 5.5 miles
Duration = 1:04
Avg. Speed = 5.1 mph
Conditions = High thin marine layer, warm, and calm

1 comment:

  1. As you know Jake, I paddle around in a Tsunami a lot, and the 175 is a BIG boat, even for me. I'm 6' about 210 and I feel lost in it. The front deck felt especially high and big, even compared to the 165.

    And no, I don't drive a Mack truck.

    ReplyDelete