Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 26 - Wilderness Systems 'Tarpon 160'

Drawing from the bag of boats put me in the Tarpon 160 this morning. With kayak fishing in mind, the Wilderness Systems Tarpons have been redesigned this year to include, among other things, the very comfortable Phase 3 seat system, accessory rails, and easy opening hinged hatch covers. I didn't have time to fish this morning so my main interest was just a nice easy paddle around the bay with a friend who happened to be on a stand up paddle board. The 160 didn't provide any big surprises the seat was very comfortable, it was very stable, and it moved along easily. It's longer length helped it track better and provided more speed than the Tarpon 100 or 120 which were the 8th and 9th boats I paddled in this adventure. Because it is designed with fishing in mind I'm planning on taking it out when I have time to wet a line to give it another test paddle as a fishing platform.

Tarpon 160 Review

Manufacturer = Confluence
Brand = Wilderness Systems
Model = Tarpon 160
Type = Sit On Top
Material = Plastic
Length = 16'-0"
Width = 28"
Weight = 78 lbs.
Capacity = 375 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay - Vacation Island Loop
Time = 6:15 AM
Distance = 3.79 miles
Duration = 1:06
Avg. Speed = 3.4 mph (kept pace with Matt on SUP)
Conditions = Overcast and mild with light breeze

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite SOT. Seems to have less initial stability than a Tsunami, but very quick and easy to paddle around. Looking forward to your fishing report on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just purchased one of these as a replacement for my stolen prowler13. I'm looking forward to exploring all its capabilities but my initial impressions are good.

    ReplyDelete