Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 19 - P&H 'Scorpio'

What a great way to start the day. I was joined by past Aqua Adventures employee Matt P. (in town to help out while Jen is away) he paddled the P&H Scorpio LV and I was in the standard sized Scorpio. It had been a while since I challenged the surf zone and the surf was the perfect size for long boat surfing so we headed out the Mission Bay channel and over to Dog Beach to have a little fun. I mentioned the other day in my P&H Cetus review that it was 'left' here by our friend Sean Morley for us to play with untill he could pick it up. Well he stopped by the other day and instead of picking up the Cetus he left a trailer load of boats for us to try out and this Scorpio is one of them.

Just like it's composite brother the Cetus, the Scorpio with it's triple layer plastic, is a very solidly built boat. The seat system is very comfortable and the boat fit me quite well. These boats come with a front deck day hatch which I was sceptical of the first time I saw one, but the more I paddle with them the more I like them. It's nice to store small items like sunglasses, a GPS, or cell phones where you know they won't get slammed around like they can in a behind the seat day hatch. The Scorpio moves along quite well and handles rough water very comfortably. I had a great time catching rides running with the swell but when it came to actually surfing breaking waves I didn't have all that much luck. It may be that I was rusty this morning but I had a heck of a time picking up waves and once I did it was a challenge to hold a line and not get washed off the back. The boat was just a lot for me to handle on the waves. I think I'd save the Scorpio for longer distances in potentially rough water and choose a more playful boat when my main interest is surfing. Overall it's a fun boat to paddle and we had a good time this morning.

Scorpio Review

Manufacturer = P&H
Brand = P&H
Model = Scorpio
Type = Touring
Material = Plastic
Length = 16'-11"
Width = 22"
Weight = 63.5 lbs

Location = Mission Bay jetty to OB Pier, Dog Beach surfing, jump the weir, and back
Time = 6:30
Distance = 4.99 miles
Duration = 1:18
Avg. Speed = N/A we surfed a bunch
Conditions = Man, it was a beautiful morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment