Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day 34 - Ocean Kayak 'Scupper Pro TW'

Back by popular demand the Scupper Pro TW represents what sit on top SOT kayaks were before they were fisherized. At 15 feet long and a respectable 26" wide this boat retains some of the glide you find in closed decked kayaks. For that reason it tends to be a bit faster than many of the new wide and stable platforms that are on the market today. This morning I was heading out with the Wednesday morning group from our docks at Aqua Adventures and figured I'd draw from the bag until I got a sea kayak that would allow me to keep up. The first draw gave me the Scupper Pro and although it is a SOT I knew it would be just fine.

I did have to work a bit harder than I would have in a equal length decked boat but I did keep up. One thing to expect from the Scupper Pro is the potential for a wet butt. The seat is set very low in the boat which is what helps it feel more stable but because of that water doesn't have to travel far up the scupper holes in the seat to leave you a bit wet. I deal with that by simply sitting on top of a padded seat which keeps me above the water. The big front hatch provides access to the entire inside of the boat for storage. Back in the day Aqua Adventures did overnight trips with Scupper Pros utilizing the storage capacity provided through the hatches. Back then the Scupper Pro came with two hatches (front and rear) the Scupper Pro that has been re-introduced is the TW (tank well) version which eliminates the rear hatch in exchange for a tank well where a dive tank, cooler, or fishing gear can be stowed for easy access while on the water. Because it does handle a bit more like a decked kayak, the Scupper Pro is one of my favorite SOT kayaks. You can fish off of it but if cruising is more your game you'd be using it to it's higher potential.

Scupper Pro Review

Manufacturer = Johnson Outdoors
Brand = Ocean Kayak
Model = Scupper Pro TW
Type = SOT
Material = Plastic
Length = 14'-9"
Width = 26"
Weight = 55 lbs.

Location = Ocean Beach Pier Loop
Time = 7:00 AM
Distance = Approx 5 miles
Duration = 1:30 hour
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Partly cloudy and breezy

No comments:

Post a Comment