Friday, May 22, 2009

Day 36 - Feelfree 'Moken 12 Angler'

This boat has a wheel in the stern and thank the lord for that. With all of the fishing do-dads and the plastic lid on the front hatch this boat comes in on the very heavy end of the 59 lbs the Feelfree web site lists as the boat's weight (my bathroom scale says 79 lbs). Because of the boat's heft, the wheel felt more like a necessity than a luxury when it came to moving the boat off the water. I launched from our dock bright and early this morning in the mood to make a run out to the red buoy outside the channel and back. I only had time for an hour paddle but figured I'd make it to the buoy with time enough to take a little break. I don't know if I was dragging or what, but I barely made it to the buoy inside of a half hour. I just didn't feel like I was getting anywhere fast this morning. The Moken is comfortable enough and the large hinged front hatch is an interesting approach toward gear maintenance when fishing. One thing I suggest if you get a chance to try this boat out is to start out in a stopped position and do a few nice wide sweep strokes one one side to turn the boat in a circle, you may be surprised at the results.

Moken Review

Manufacturer = Feelfree Kayaks
Brand = Feelfree
Model = Moken 12 Angler
Type = Sit On Top
Material = Plastic
Length = 12'-4"
Width = 29"
Weight = 59 lbs. ? (the quickest way to loose weight is to hop on a scale at a kayak factory)

Location = Mission Bay channel to red buoy and back
Time = 6:00 AM
Distance = 3.57 miles
Duration = 1:00 hours
Avg. Speed = 3.57
Conditions = Partly cloudy

5 comments:

  1. A Note on Weight...
    I've yet to weigh this kayak myself, but no way is it 59lbs....I have a very difficult time getting it one the roof of my car

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also have this kayak and i would agree it is on the very heavy side' but all the same im really pleased with it and i think it glides through the water very well..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this boat. It's very functional on deck, but wished it had more storage below the deck (other than that 6 inch porthole in front of the seat. The boat is very heavy. And the balance is a little off as it's much heavier in the back than the front (maybe because of the wheel??) But, I do love my Moken 12, though. It does seem to like to go a little left when I paddle so it doesn't track in an exact straight line. But, all in all, I'm very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just purchased my Moken 12 standard,took it out today,tracked well,paddled easy.Love the wheel for putting it in the water.If it effects tracking or speed,I sure didn't notice.I really like the console in the center,great feature.My only problem was installing the seat to the yak.I'm still not sure I have it right.There were no holes in the strap to secure it to the inside of the boat.Don't know if this is normal or not,I'm going to contact dealer on Monday.Seems like alot of pressure will be put on the front screw of the strap.If anyone has a close up pict of the strap I'd sure appreciate an email @ velen.r@zoominternet.net .Almost forgot the selling point for me was the molded in handles,no screws or rivets to pull through plastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iv had this boat for a year now and love it. sure its not perfect.. but i have yet to see the perfect kayak. for me the good things outweigh the bad things on this yak. i really like the way the entire kayak is set up. it is a little heavy but its not too bad. it is a little slower than other kayaks but it does track straight and yet turn on a dime. im working on retrofitting a rudder on mine.. hope i can get it to work correctly!.. all in all im glad i got it. a few of my selling points were the wheel, molded in handles, nicely placed storage, and the biggest one is no one else really has them! im big on having things that not EVERYONE has... Manta Rays are a dime a dozen I get a lot of complements and questions about mine when i get it out on the water.

    ReplyDelete