Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Day 27 - Necky 'Looksha 14'

Well here is where it gets interesting. I have to catch a flight that departs at 7:45 this morning destined for Burlington Vermont where I'll find a rental car and continue on to Plattsburg New York where I'll be doing BCU Level 2 coach training for the next four days. I only hope there will be four boats and time for me to paddle them during the training. I don't want any naysayers giving me a hard time about 100 continuous days so I intend to make it happen one way or another. I'm not sure there how much opportunity there will be to get on line while I am in NY so there may be a gap in my reporting until I return late next Tuesday night.

In order to find time to get a one hour paddle in and still make my flight I decided to get up very early and make it happen (3:00 AM to be exact). I didn't want to go far so I thought it would be a great opportunity to try out our friend Jim Alsup's new geocache that he recently installed in Quivira Basin. The cache is what is called a multicache which requires you to visit several locations to find clues which provide you with the GPS coordinates of the actual cache. From talking with Jim I already know the location of the cache but I thought it'd be fun to try to locate the clues located around the basin. I took Jen's video camera along and shot video of each of the geocache locations so that I could share them with you to make your search easier. I'll be posting them on this site as soon as I get a chance, so be patient. In the mean time you can log on to http://www.geocaching.com/ and sign in then search for Jim's geocache in Quivira Basin. It's a fun challenge that will take you all over the marina area.

Geocache Clues Revealed

As for the Looksha 14, it was nice. Slow to turn but stable and straight tracking. The cockpit is generously sized so anyone that doesn't like the closed in feeling or needs a larger opening to get in and out will appreciate this boat.

OK folks I have a plane to catch so stay tuned for reports from Upstate New York as long as I can find a computer with an internet connection.

Looksha 14 Review

Manufacturer = Johnson Outdoors
Brand = Necky
Model = Looksha 14
Type = Touring
Material = Plastic
Length = 14'-1.5"
Width = 24.5"
Weight = 57 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay - Quivira Basin Geocach Hunting
Time = 3:30 AM
Distance = aprox 2 miles
Duration = 1:01
Avg. Speed = N/A (geocaching)
Conditions = Dark

No comments:

Post a Comment