Tuesday, June 30, 2009

*Day 75 - Valley 'Nordkapp RM'

It was another private lesson on Mission Bay today. I had worked with this student a couple times before, so this time, to keep things interesting, we did a tour around the bay working on skills as we went. The squirrely boat she was in combined with a brisk wind offered a good opportunity to practice a variety of techniques to prevent weathercocking and track straight across the wind. While my student worked on holding her course I was in our plastic Nordkapp which didn't seem to notice the wind and held ran straight without any fuss. The Nordkapp is an excellent touring boat, a little light on initial stability, but straight tracking, fast, nimble, and just the right size to fit my 5'-10" 160 lb. frame. While this boat excels at long hauls loaded with gear it's lively enough for us to take it rock gardening in Baja. Of all the plastic touring boats in our fleet this one is one of my first picks when I need a boat that fits well and performs like I want it to especially when I want to put in some distance.

Nordkapp RM Review

Manufacturer = Valley
Brand = Valley
Model = Nordkapp RM
Material = Plastic
Type = Touring
Length = 17'-9"
Width = 21"
Weight = 56 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay (private lesson)
Time = 11:30 AM
Distance = N/A
Duration = 2:10
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Breezy and clear overhead with marine layer offshore

No comments:

Post a Comment