Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 67 - Dagger 'Alchemy 14 S'

Eric Disque our Confluence rep had planned on picking up his two demo Alchemys today so I made sure I took the smaller version out this morning while I had the chance. It turns out that Jen took the 14 L to La Jolla for a guide training and told me that if Eric wanted it back he could "come and get it"... so we ended up with the boats for an extra day. Eric promises me that he only needs them for a couple days and that they'll be back for others to try out next weekend. Good thing because folks need to give these boats a test drive, they're fun.

The 14 S is the smaller of the two boats measuring in an inch narrower and 5 pounds lighter than the 14 L. I felt that with my weight the smaller boat sat a little further in the water and tracked straighter, because of that I never felt any need to use the skeg this morning. After spending several hours in a flat water lesson with the 14 L, I was itching to take the smaller version out in the surf. So once again I cruised out the channel and around the corner into Dog Beach. The surf was a bit sloppy and closed out which didn't make for nice long rides but it did give me a chance to test out the Alchemy in rough water. As can be expected, the maneuverability of the boat allowed me to wiggle out of broach situations and spin around to catch or paddle back through the waves with ease. The Alchemy didn't produce any magic when riding waves but it was certainly easier to hold a line with this boat than a longer sea kayak. The next and greatest test for these boats will be in rock gardens. I'll keep you posted.

Alchemy 14.0 S Review

Manufacturer = Confluence
Brand = Dagger
Model = Alchemy 14.0 S
Material = Plastic
Type = White Water/Touring Hybrid
Length = 14'-0"
Width = 23"
Weight = 50 lbs.
Capacity = 275 lbs.

Location = Dog Beach surf/rough water session
Time = 6:00 AM
Distance = N/A
Duration = 1:10
Avg Speed = N/A (my GPS is broken but I did clock a 13 minute mile)
Conditions = Partly cloudy 2' SW swell mixed w/ 2' NW wind waves

No comments:

Post a Comment