Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 47 - Current Designs 'Sirocco'

Edging was one of the main topics I wanted to work on with Joyce during a private lesson this morning. With that in mind I put her in the Wildy' Zephyr that she had been in last week and I paddled the Current Designs Sirocco. Both boats have amazing secondary stability that allows a person to keep the boat on edge comfortably and really discover what edge control is all about. The Sirocco doesn't seem to get much use around here and I'm not entirely sure why. It's a good handling boat that inspires confidence in beginners and allows more advanced paddlers to really work their edged maneuvering skills. The one thing I dislike about the Sirocco, however, is how wide the cockpit is and consequently how far apart the thigh pads are. I always feel like I'm mimicking a Buddha stance when sitting I'm in that boat. Sitting with your knees that far apart doesn't do much for your balance which sort of makes the relatively wide 23" width of the boat more necessary for stability.

We stayed in the marina area during the lesson this morning enjoying the warm sunshine that so many spoiled and whiny San Diegans have been missing for the last six cloudy days. If only they could live through a real winter then "June Gloom" wouldn't seem so bad, and I wouldn't have to listen to people complain about the poor weather when it's 65 degrees and pleasant outside. Sometimes, when it comes to the weather, I think people in San Diego need to buck up and grow a pair just out of respect to everyone else that has to deal with REAL bad weather. Sorry I digress...

Sirocco Review

Manufacturer = Current Designs
Brand = Current Designs
Model = Sirocco
Material = Plastic
Length = 16'-10"
Width = 23"
Weight = 60 lbs.
Capacity = 375 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay - Private lesson in Quivira Basin
Time = 11:30 AM
Distance = N/A
Duration = 2:00
Avg Speed = N/A
Conditions = Partly cloudy and breezy

3 comments:

  1. It hit 55 today!!!! I was able to take my jacket off for a while - The lake hasn't turned over yet so the water is still kinda cold to play in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you really feel Jake?? I come from Western NY. I remember how excited I was when it hit 50 in the spring time and we could put away the snowmobile. But...I live in San Diego now, and pay a fair amount of "sunshine tax," so I'm going to continue whining about June gloom. And keep my existing pair (grown in Germany and Western NY thank you) as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree with you whole heartedly, if i still kayaked ;)

    Looks like you have been paddling good boats lately that must be nice.

    ReplyDelete