Friday, June 19, 2009

Day 64 - Necky 'Manitou II'

I started the day at the lumber yard at 7:00 AM buying wood for a shade structure to cover the kayaks on our dock. Thirteen working hours later I took a quick twenty minute dinner break before launching and guiding (along with two other guides Mike and Chris) sixteen people on a two hour night tour to see the fireworks at Sea World.

The group consisted of two families all of whom were great folks which made for a fun evening. One of the families brought along their 78 year old matriarch who wasn't up to the task of paddling but was certainly interested in joining in on all the fun. I'm always looking for partners to paddle tandems for these reviews so I asked her to join me in the Manitou II from Necky. The large cockpit opening in the front of the Manitou made it very easy for my co-pilot to enter the boat and she was quickly settled in and ready to go. I climbed in the back seat adjusted the foot braces and we were off.

I like to compare the Manitou II to a minivan. Just like a minivan it can haul dad, mom, and the baby in comfort. Seriously, the center support on the Manitou II actually works as a jump seat so a small child can sit in the rear cockpit just behind the front seat facing backward toward the paddler in the back seat. Not only can the Manitou haul the whole family, it's also designed to allow the seats to be moved so it can be paddled solo from a center position. This kind of versatility makes this boat excellent for families. While Necky probably didn't have a lot of camping in mind when they came up with the design, I know of a young couple that loaded up their Manitou II and did a week long kayak camping trip on Lake Powell.

After a long day of work I was happy to be in a very roomy boat that would allow me to stretch out and relax as the group found it's way to the bay behind Sea World. I must admit that when we stopped to watch the show I took a (one eye open) cat nap trying to ward off the fatigue of fourteen hours of work. Soon the fireworks show was over and we all cruised back to our dock with a heaven sent ebb tide pushing us along. After getting the boats and gear put away I ended my work day at 10:45 PM nearly sixteen hours after it started. I didn't bother rinsing my PFD though I didn't figure it'd have time to dry before I came back at 8:00 AM the next morning to get rolled out and ready for a kayaking lesson.

Raise your hand if you want to be a guide.

Manitou II Review

Manufacturer = Johnson Outdoors
Brand = Necky
Model = Manitou II
Material = Plastic
Type = Recreational Tandem
Length = 14'-8"
Width = 28"
Weight = 75 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay - Aqua Adventures Fireworks Tour
Time = 8:30 PM
Distance = Approx 4 miles
Duration = 2:00
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Slight breeze and overcast

1 comment:

  1. Just give a holler when we get back and I'll be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete