Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 66 - Dagger 'Axiom'

Our friend Greg has been looking for a surfable white water boat that he can fit into for quite some time. I had heard that when he noticed this boat outside the store yesterday he sat in it and fit it just fine. I knew he'd be wondering how well it surfed so I figured I'd beat him to the punch and took it out for a quick surf session this morning at Dog Beach. Rather than drive I paddled the Axiom down the San Diego river to the beach. Along the way I was pleasantly surprised at how quick the boat is, I completed the 3/4 mile paddle in only 10 minutes. In the waves the boat surfed as well as you can expect a high volume river boat to surf. I was a little disappointed at how I couldn't seem to get the boat to do spins on the foam pile of broken waves which is so fun with non finned boats in the surf. I had to surf fairly conservatively because the medium skirt I brought along kept blowing off making for a swamped boat that I discovered can be paddled in backward to the beach much easier than forward. When the skirt did stay on I enjoyed a few nice rides.


Axiom Review

Manufacturer = Confluence
Brand = Dagger
Model = Axiom 8.5
Material = Plastic
Type = White Water
Length = 8'-6"
Width = 25.5"
Weight = 36 lbs.

Location = Dog Beach surf session
Time = 6:00 AM
Distance = N/A
Duration = 1:00
Avg Speed = (about 3.5+mph on 3/4 mile paddle down river to the beach)
Conditions = Mostly cloudy

No comments:

Post a Comment