Monday, June 1, 2009

*Day 46 - Wilderness Systems 'Tempest 165 Pro'

Today I had the pleasure of going on the water for a private lesson with 12 year old Jeremiah who just finished up his 5th grade year and came down from the Lake Tahoe area to spend the month of June visiting his grandparents here in San Diego. By the end of our hour and a half lesson Jeremiah had mastered all of the basic strokes and a few capsize recovery techniques as well. The way he picked things up I almost didn't believe him when he told me that he had never paddled a thing before today. Like so many kids, he didn't need instruction so much as a boat, a paddle and someone to look after him. Gotta love working with kids. Today Jeremiah paddled the kid sized Tsunami SP while I followed along in the Tempest 165 Pro.

When I'm looking for an easy handling boat but want a little more speed the Tempest 165 is the boat I often go for. Once again the seat, hip pad, and thigh brace systems are hard to beat for 'out of the box' fit and comfort. The 165 is the smaller version of the Tempest 180 and 170 I reviewed earlier and, unlike the other two, this kayak fits me quite well. Because of that good fit, for me, the 165 is the best handling boat of the three. Anybody larger than me at 5'-10" may start to feel cramped in the 165 but any smaller paddler looking for a swift and nimble ride should certainly give it a try.

Tempest 165 Pro Review

Manufacturer = Confluence
Brand = Wilderness Systems
Model = Tempest 165 Pro
Material = Fiberglass
Length = 16'-6"
Width = 21.5"
Weight = 56 lbs.
Capacity = 300 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay - Private lesson in Quivira Basin
Time = 2:00 PM
Distance = N/A
Duration = 1:30
Avg Speed = N/A
Conditions = Mostly cloudy and breezy

2 comments:

  1. Otto's favorite boat, and we know how skinny he is! He prefers the "tupperware" version though since the combing sits a bit lower and makes it easier for his lay back rolls.

    I'm surprised the weight is so close to the plastic version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn says 'It is about time you reviewed the best boat on the water'. She loves her Tempest 165 to the point that she won't let me take it out for a spin... ever. Guess I'll have to borrow one from Aqua to try one out (as if I need another boat).

    ReplyDelete