Tuesday, July 21, 2009

**Day 96 - Pelican

With several hours of rental left on our kayak I went back down the street this morning to swap out the Malibu II for something different. Never having the chance to paddle a Pelican SOT before I figured one would be worth a try. It was during our very first launch through the surf that I quickly realized that I had picked a bad boat for the beach. The one small scupper hole in the front seat was entirely inadequate resulting in waves filling the front of the boat with water and dangerously slowing our progress out through the surf. Once through the breakers my co-pilots up front took to hand bailing the water to lighten the load. Surfing back in was interesting as the low volume bow tended to plow toward the bottom threatening to endo on several waves. Jen's cousin and I took a quick cruise down the coast and enjoyed the ride with the current but as soon as we turned around to come back it became a frustrating slog back to our camp on the beach. I can think of several things that could be done to improve these boats but I figure Pelican gets plenty of feedback from all the pros that sell them at Costco.

Pelican Tandem Review

Manufacturer = Pelican
Brand = Pelican
Model =
Type = Sit On Top Tandem
Material = Plastic
Length =
Width =
Weight =

Location = Sunset Beach North Carolina
Time = 11: AM
Distance = N/A
Duration = 1:00 hour
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Mostly sunny with 1-2' waves water temp 80 deg.

No comments:

Post a Comment