Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 94 - Wilderness Systems 'Zephyr 160'

Surfers must hate me. Most times when I head out into the lineup with the board surfers it's with my 9' long Mega surf kayak which (complete with fins)is really not much more than a surf board that you sit on. Sometimes, however, when the waves are really too small for any good surfing with a short surf boat, I opt for a sea kayak. The speed of these boats allows me to pick up little waves way outside and enjoy smooth long runs all the way to the beach. Granted I'm not exactly carving the face of the wave but it sure beats waiting hours for the one larger than average wave that can allow a short boat or board surfer to get a ride. I don't actually get in the lineup with my long boat, the risk of getting swepted in sideways wipeing out a 16 food wide path along the way is not a pretty thought. Instead I stay to the side picking up the crumbs that nobody else can surf. That was the story today when I met some friends in La Jolla to play on the small but glassy smooth surf.

This time it was the Zephyr 160 that I brought along to play with. I prefer the tighter fit of the smaller 15.5 but this boat still fits well enough. I love hitting the surf with either of the Zephyrs as thier excellent maneauverability and stability make them a joy to paddle in rough water. As one can expect these boats aren't going to keep up with a longer narrower kayak but when it comes to playing in tight quarters and moving water they're hard to beat.

Zephyr 160 Review
Manufacturer = Confluence
Brand = Wilderness Systems
Model = Zephyr 160
Type = Touring
Material = Plastic
Length = 16'-0"
Width = 23"
Weight = 54 lbs.
Capacity = 300 lbs.

Location = La Jolla Shores surf session
Time = 6:30 AM
Duration = 1:30
Distance = N/A
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Very calm with glassy 1-2' waves
Activity = Surfing

1 comment:

  1. It would be better if you updated all of these days with some photos of the boat you are reviewing. I am looking to purchase a new kayak and would actually view every 100 of your days if the review included photos of the yak your reviewing.

    ReplyDelete