Monday, July 6, 2009

**Day 81 - Necky 'Chatham 16' RM

If you're wondering what the asterisks (*) are about on the blog headings they represent how many other boats I paddled on the day I reviewed the boat in question. So two asterisks means I actually paddled three boats in three separate outings in the same day. I didn't start doing this until day 50 when I started to realize how many times I paddled more than once per day.

Today started early with a morning surf session up at Tourmaline with me in the Valley Storm and our new help around the store (Paul) in my Mega Airforce. After burning a lot of time searching for waves we stayed out as long as we dare returning back to Aqua Adventures just in time to pick up my student to start a two hour sea kayak surf zone lesson during which I paddled today's boat the Chatham 16 plastic. Later in the day I caught up with the San Diego triathlon club and paddled the Holo Holo SUP board as a support (sighting aid) for their workout swim in La Jolla.

The Chatham 16 has never overwhelmed me with its speed but it's maneuverability allows folks to handle rough water with ease. It's a favorite of mine to take along for surf zone training because it fits folks well giving them the body connection and confidence they need in the soup. Today my student opted for the Manitou 14 so I grabbed the Chatham 16 for myself knowing that it would allow me to make my demonstrations look easy. Many folks (me included I must admit) complain about how slow the Chatham 16 is. But as a friend (who happens to be a staunch supporter of Chathams) pointed out, if you were to compare the speed of a Chatham 16 to a Romany or Avocet (two other well known playful boats) you may find that it compares fairly well for speed.

Chatham 16 Review

Manufacturer = Johnson Outdoors
Brand = Necky
Model = Chatham 16
Material = Plastic
Type = Sea Kayak
Length = 16'-5"
Width = 22
Weight = 59 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay to South Mission (surf zone lesson)
Time = 9:00 AM
Distance = Approx 3 miles
Duration = N/A
Speed = N/A
Conditions = Breezy and partly cloudy

2 comments:

  1. As a staunch supporter of the Chatham thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been considering getting a Chatham 16. I got to paddle in one this weekend for the first time. My first impression was that it seemed super maneuverable and responsive to leans and turns. It's was really easy to get on its side for edging, but that caught me off guard initially too cause my seda ikkuma tends to lock in while on its side, while the Chatham seems more willing to keep going over. will probably take some getting used, with more bracing etc. The cockpit seems to be a good fit for me (I'm 6'11" and 180lbs). I can manage to lift my knees up without having to slide my butt out first, which is something I can't do on a lot of other boats (particular on wilderness systems boats). It does seem a bit heavier and slower than my seda, but I'd be getting it more for rock garden play and surfing, where it seems excellently suited. (I'm also still considering the Avocet, which I hear has a more durable plastic).

    ReplyDelete