Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 89 - Feathercraft 'K1 Expedition'

A student brought a feathercraft for his private lesson and agreed to let me paddle it for the 100 boats challenge providing me with my first ever chance to paddle a feathercraft. I had always heard how skin on frame boats kind of bend and slide over waves so I took this boat directly out the channel to see how it handled on ocean swell. I made good time out the channel leaving plenty of time before dark to splash around a bit in the small waves at Dog Beach. I was very conservative seems how it was not my boat and had only been on the water a couple times before. It did indeed flex and roll over the waves but it still handled the lively water fairly well. I wasn't too impressed with the seat system but I discovered that it may have been an adjustment issue. One thing I discovered on the way in that impressed me the most was the fact that when you paddle over kelp beds, with your heels on the rubberized skin bottom of the boat, the kelp bumps on your heels giving kind of a heel massage. It was a cool enough feeling the first time that I went looking for kelp to run over after that.

K1 Expedition Review

Manufacturer = Feathercraft
Brand = Feathercraft
Model = K1 Expedition
Type = Touring
Material = Kevlar
Length = 16'-5"
Width = 25"
Weight = 51 lbs.

Location = Aqua Adventures Dock to Dog Beach and back
Time = 7:00 PM
Distance = N/A
Duration = 1:00 hour
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Partly cloudy and warm

No comments:

Post a Comment