Thursday, July 2, 2009

**Day 77 - Necky 'Chatham 17' RM

I knew Jerry would be anxious to hear what I have to say about this boat. Seems how he's the guy that pulled off an expediton down the entire California coast in one last summer I figured there would be nothing I could say that he didn't already know. What I do have to say is that the Chatham 17 is a pretty fast, comfortable, and good handling boat but man... you can't fit much gear in it. That's too bad too because I think if the boat had a bit more cargo space it'd appeal to a whole bunch of people that would like to take it on trips but would also like to not have to pack like a minimalist to do so. I'll always be impressed by the fact that Jerry pulled off the trip as gracefully as he did in that boat. In some ways he proved my opinion of this boat wrong.

The Chatam 17 is a great pick for somone of average build who's looking for a nimble boat that can get you places effeciently, but who has the dicipline to pack like a backpacker when taking it on a trip.

Chatham 17 Review

Manufacturer = Johnson Outdoors
Brand = Necky
Model = Chatham 17
Material = Plastic
Type = Sea Kayak
Length = 17'-1.5"
Width = 21
Weight = 63 lbs.

Location = La Jolla Shores to Blacks Beach
Time = 1:00 PM
Distance = Approx 4 miles
Duration = 2:30
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Breezy w/ high thin marine layer

3 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for this reveiw, how would you compare the Chatham 17 RM to the Nordkapp RM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chatham 17 and Nordkapp both relativly narrow, lively, nimble boats that fit me well. I seem to gravitate toward the Nordkapp it just feels more solid and can haul a bigger load.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would you compare the chatham 17 to the p and h scorpio? I am 6'3 200 pounds and looking for a boat i can do day trips and also some multiple day trips.

    ReplyDelete