Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 101 - SKUK 'Romany S' fiberglass

The 100 consecutive days has ended, in fact yesterday was the first day since March 29th (and the 7th day in 2009) that I didn't paddle anything at all. Add it all up and I've already paddled over 203 days this year alone. There are still a bunch of boats in the Aqua Adventures' fleet that I want to paddle, so if I'm going to paddle more boats, I see no reason to stop blogging at 100. The difference from the 100 days challenge is that I'm now paddling whatever I feel like paddling whenever I feel like paddling it. However, when the opportunity to paddle something new comes my way I figure I'll give it a try and post my experiences.

This morning (my arms rested from the one day off from paddling) I joined the "Wednesday Morning Group" which featured Neil sporting a new hat (inside joke). The boat of the day was the Romany S in fiberglass known around here as the "John Deer" boat, mainly because of the fact that it's green with yellow trim and more because we put John Deer logos on it. This boat is a treat to paddle, very responsive, comfortable (as long as you stay off the but chomper seat back) and quick enough to keep up with the group this morning. I wouldn't pick this boat for long crossings or if I was the type that focused on lots of long distance paddling. But as a day paddling or weekend camping boat, the Romany is hard to beat. The 'S' model is a bit roomier than the regular Romany which makes it a bit looser than I prefer but I still feel solid in this boat. Anybody a few inches and pounds bigger than my 5'-10" 160# will fit this boat like a glove.

Romany S Review

Manufacturer = SKUK (formerly NDK)
Model = Romany S
Type = Touring
Material = Fiberglass
Length =16' 0"
Width = 22"

Location = Mission Bay - Wednesday Morning Paddle
Time = 7:00 AM
Distance = Aprox. 4 miles
Duration = 1:30
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Warm, calm, partly cloudy

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're gonna keep going with the blog and not give up at 100! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete