Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 85 - Wilderness Systems 'Zephyr 15.5'

The Zephyr 15.5 and the larger version the '16' are being promoted by Wilderness Systems as the more playful cousin of the already sporty Tempests. When I first saw the Zephyr I was a bit disappointed at how wide the boats are. I was hoping that by 'sporty' Wilderness meant narrow and tight fitting. When I saw that they are, in fact, wider than the Tempests I feared that it was to make it more stable for beginners. One thing I'm not excited about is another super stable boat to poke around in. After my first outing in the Zephyr however, my worries subsided as I quickly learned what a somewhat wider boat can do for even an experienced paddler. Of course the increased initial stability made me feel all the more stable in the surf zone where I was playing. What I learned though was (when the boat is on edge) the extra width floats the boat higher bringing the ends out of the water a bit more causing the already easy to turn boat to really come alive.

Because of that its confidence inspiring initial stability, combined with great secondary stability, and amazing maneuverability on edge, I frequently pull this boat out for beginners that I want to get started with edging. One thing I have noticed with so many of our tours is that beginners tend to have a rough time at keeping this boat going straight unless we put the skeg down a bit. With a little experience I'm sure anybody would be able to hold a course without any trouble unless the wind was acting on the boat at which time the skeg would be quite handy.

The Zephyr 15.5 is a great handling lively sea kayak that can handle the surf zone and other rough conditions with ease and still haul enough gear and cover a few miles for an occasional camping trip. I'd recommend it to anyone that sees themselves playing in lively water more often than just putting on miles but who still wants a little cargo space and speed.

Zephyr 15.5 Review

Manufacturer = Confluence
Brand = Wilderness Systems
Model = Zephyr 15.5
Type = Touring
Material = Plastic
Length = 15'-6"
Width = 22.5"
Weight = 52 lbs.
Capacity = 275 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay (private lesson)
Time = 8:00 AM
Duration = 2:00
Distance = N/A
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Very calm and beautiful
Activity = Private lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment