Monday, July 13, 2009

**Day 88 - SEDA 'Ikkuma 17'

Today was another one of those days were I end up paddling three times in one day. The first two outings were two hour, basic type, private lessons in the Ikkuma 17 and the third time on the water was on a SUP board as a support paddler for the San Diego Triathlon club workout swim in La Jolla.

Introduced just a couple years ago, the Ikkuma 17 has become a fast favorite around here. It is Seda's first attempt at a "British" style kayak taking a step away from the straight running flat rockered, ruddered boats traditionally seen in their line. This kayak has very good primary stability and confidence inspiring secondary stability that allows for excellent edged turns. I'll have to get back out with this one with a GPS to verify it's speed but in my experience the Ikkuma is a darn fast boat. A friend of ours won first place in the Bay to Bay race this year in the under 17' length class (the length of ours is actually about 16'-10"). The only trouble I've seen with the Ikkuma 17 is with people who fall into a specific shoe size and leg length that puts their toes directly under one of the lumps of the recessed deck fittings. If you're unlucky enough to fall in that zone your feet will feel cramped in the otherwise roomy cockpit. An inch longer inseam or size smaller shoe and no problem. Of course you won't know you'll have that problem until you give the boat a try.

If you're considering a composite "British" style sea kayak that turns easily, runs fast, and has enough space to haul you and your gear, give this one a try.

Ikkuma 17 Review

Manufacturer = Seda
Brand = Seda
Model = Ikkuma 17
Type = Touring
Material = Kevlar
Length = 17'-0"
Width = 22"
Weight = 42 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay - Two Private Lessons
Time = 9:00 AM and again at Noon
Distance = N/A
Duration = 2:00 hours each session
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Sunny and warm

4 comments:

  1. You took out my favorite boat! I've been waiting this whole time and it only made #88! :)

    Good Enough for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got an Ikumma 17 a month ago. I have been in the water every day and the more I use it, the more I like it. It's a kick to turn, roll and play atound in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does SEDA's construction quality and durability compare with other manufacturers? Where does this boat fit in those categories to other companies?

    I paddled one of these this weekend and was very impressed. It fit me perfectly and tracked like an arrow in gusty winds even without the skeg down. It was to my disappointment when some others in my group made some negative (though well-intended) comments about build quality, being made in Mexico (which means nothing to me as long as the quality is there-I've heard some of the big name composites are made in China), an overly light fiberglass layup, and person they know who has had problems with theirs. These comments came as a surprise to me, as I was under the impression that SEDA was a small, almost specialty manufacturer with high quality. The fit and finish of the boat I paddled certainly seemed up to par.

    Any comments about these issues?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the old days, Seda had some QC problems and that reputation can last a long time(honestly I've never met a kayak manufacturer that didn't have the occaisional QC problem). Ownership changed a handful of years ago and the new guys specialize in manufacturing. They know how to do it right! They hired an awesome designer to design the Ikkuma and knocked that one out of the park! Their manufacturing now ranks among the best I've seen. With all the "big boys" moving to China, quality industry wide is getting less consistent, not more. I like the guys a little closer to home! Seda's owners are in Mexico overseeing things almost every day and I have a lot of confidence in them! Don't let anyone fool you - all lay-ups are a compromise between weight and strength. Seda's standard layups are an excellent balance of light weight and strength for the general population, but they will happily beef yours up if you want them to. One of the best things about them is that, because they're small, they'll work with you on customizing your boat. Custom work does carry extra fees of course. Another big plus (assuming you live in SoCal, is that if you do have any problems, it's an easy trip to take care of things. Hope this helps! The Ikkuma is one of our best selling boats and one of our personal favorites too - you can't go wrong! We can help you get one of your very own if you want!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete