Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Day 6 - SKUK (NDK) 'Explorer LV'

Most of the usual suspects assembled on the Aqua Adventures dock this morning for our weekly "Wednesday Morning Paddle". The unusually nice weather we've had the last two days didn't hold into today and we launched under an overcast sky with a bit of wind. When I drew a boat name from the hat this morning I first came up with a stand up board but put it back and drew again knowing I'd need a touring boat to keep up with this crowd. The very next pick put me in the Explorer LV from SKUK (formerly NDK). The Explorer's reputation as an expedition worthy kayak is world renowned. It's a kayak that I love and would certainly be on the top of my list if I had to choose just one boat to paddle. The low volume (LV) version of the Explorer is (not surprisingly) a bit tighter fit than I care for, mainly because the low front deck puts my legs in a straighter posture than I'm used to. Anybody probably 5'-8" and under 150 lbs or less should certainly give this boat a try, especially if they're considering multi day trips. I like the Explorer for it's handling and mainly because it just "feels" right. Folks say a kayak should fit like your favorite pair of blue jeans. For me that's exactly how the Explorer feels, like a worn-in pair of relaxed fit Levis. However, the Explorer LV, bit too small for me, feels like I'm wearing another person's favorite pair of blue jeans.

After watching my GPS this morning I discovered that it's not as fast as I had thought but I still cruised at 4.5 mph with ease. I may have to re-visit this kayak when I'm not chatting with all the people around me. Today's paddle on small wind chop hardly does this boat justice knowing from past experience that rough water makes this boat come alive.

Manufacturer = SKUK
Model" = Explorer LV
Material = fiberglass
Length =17' 8"
Width = 21.5"

Location = Mission Bay out the jetty and north to roller coaster
Time = 7:00 AM
Distance = 4.69 miles
Duration = 1:15
Avg. Speed = 3.7 mph (lots of talking on the tour this morning)
Conditions = Small wind chop and breeze

No comments:

Post a Comment