Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Day 5 - Necky 'Eliza' composite

First of all you should know that our composite Eliza is hot pink. If it wasn't for that fact and the fact that Necky advertises this kayak as being a woman's kayak, I would probably paddle it more often. Not that there is anything wrong with a guy paddling a hot pink kayak designed for women....what ever works for you man... It's kind of too bad actually that this boat has been deemed a "women's" kayak. I think that may be scaring a lot of men away from trying it who may actually like it, perhaps in a color other than hot pink though.



The Eliza surprises me every time I paddle it. At only 15' long I never expect it to be as fast as it is, whenever I paddle it with a group I have no problem keeping up. It's a stable but nimble boat that turns very easily on edge. The hull and seat system are designed to fit a women's hips which means it's a bit loose on my frame but that's nothing a little foam couldn't cure. The one thing that does disappoint me about the Eliza is the lack of a day hatch behind the cockpit. I don't know who ever decided that day touring boats don't need day hatches, but it seems to be a curse of kayaks in this class. Anybody (women OR men) looking for a lightweight, great handling, day tripper should consider this kayak.


Manufacturer = Johnson Outdoors
Brand = Necky
Model = Eliza
Material = Composite
Length = 15'-3"
Width = 21"
Weight = 47 lbs.


Location = Run out the jetty and one mile straight off shore from Mission Bay
Time = 5:45 AM
Distance = 4.5 miles
Duration = 1:01
Avg. Speed = 4.5 mph
Conditions = Flat calm and beautiful

1 comment:

  1. I 'inherited' this boat from my mother in law, and my wife has the same one. I have been paddling this boat for just over 1 season and I love it. I opted for a color other than hot pink. I agree, its a shame its marked as a womens specific boat, as its compact, fast, light and fun to paddle.

    Guys, dont let a marketing ploy keep you from trying this boat. it may be just what your looking for.

    ReplyDelete