Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Day 12 - Necky 'Manitou 13' plastic

What a surprise! I must admit that I mined through the boat name envelope this morning trying to avoid another sea kayak to keep some variety in these reviews. When I drew the Manitou 13 I thought "good a recreational kayak I haven't done one of those yet." I fully expected the slow paced leisured ride you normally get from a 'rec' boat, the Manitou 13 however, was a different experience. It was when I was about a mile out from the store when I realized that I was actually enjoying this little boat.

It started with the fit. While the cockpit is sized to be easy to get in and out of it's not so huge as to prevent a truly functional skirt from being used. That conservatively large cockpit opening also allows for a good thigh connection allowing the boat to actually be edged, as comfortably as can be expected for a nearly 25" kayak anyway. I was also impressed with the speed I was able to get out of such a short boat. I had no problem at all maintaining a comfortable 4.5 mph on the bay this morning. To me this boat performs more like a little sea kayak than a recreational kayak as many would like to label it. With a spray skirt and float bags securely fastened along side the foam pillar up front I could even see taking this little kayak to explore the open coast on calm days.

Necky actually puts this boat in their day touring line up and after giving it a test run I have to agree that it is definitely a big step above the average rec. boat. The Manitou 13 is a great choice for someone looking for a stable platform that will provide comfortable rides with a smooth surprisingly efficient glide. At the same time this little boat will allow folks to dip a toe in the waters where the bigger kayaks play.

Manitou 13 Review

Manufacturer = Johnson Outdoors
Brand = Necky
Model = Manitou 13
Material = Plastic
Length = 12'-10.5"
Width = 24.75"
Weight = 45 lbs.

Location = Aqua Adventures dock past Sea World to South Shores boat ramp and back
Time = 6:20 AM
Distance = 4.59 miles
Duration = 1:00
Avg. Speed = 4.5 mph
Conditions = Calm and overcast

No comments:

Post a Comment