Friday, July 17, 2009

Day 92 - Valley 'Pintail' - Happy Birthday Neil -

Even as I'm making an effort to stick to SOT kayaks as much as possible, the need for a touring kayak for a private lesson today put me in the Valley Pintail. After taking a closer look at the specs, judging by the similarity's, it's no wonder that to me the Pintail feels like a rounded out version of the Anas Acuta. Just like the Anas Acuta, I love taking the Pintail into rough water including surf and (because our Pintail is already a bit beat up, rock gardening as well). The only thing I don't like about our Pintail is that the skeg slider recess is exactly where I'd like to put my knee. Consequently every time I use the thigh braces my knee pushes up into an uncomfortable lump in the deck. I don't know if the slider placement has been changed in newer versions but if it has then I have only good things to say about this boat. The Pintail is just plain fun to paddle.

Pintail Review

Manufacturer = Valley Sea Kayaks
Brand = Valley
Model = Pintail
Material = Fiberglass
Type = Touring
Length = 17'-2"
Width = 21"
Weight = 49 lbs.

Location = Mission Bay - Private lesson
Time = 7:09 AM
Distance = N/A
Duration = 3:00
Avg. Speed = N/A
Conditions = Clear and breezy

No comments:

Post a Comment